Phillies @ Nationals
Place: 5th in NL East
Last 10: 4-6
- Scoring first has been big for the Phillies as they are 32-18 when getting on the board first but just 15-41 when allowing the opponent to score first.
- Philadelphia is 2-49 when trailing after eight innings this season.
- However, they've done a good job of holding on to late leads going 37-4 when leading after eight innings.
- Starters going deep into games has not exactly been a guaranteed victory for the Phillies as they are just 27-24 when the starter goes longer than six innings.
- Out-hitting an opponent seems to be key as Philadelphia is 32-16 when out-hitting opponents but 9-39 when getting outhit.
- The Phillies have the best second-half record in the National League over the last 10 years going 428-311.
- Philadelphia has lost 13 of their last 18 games against the Nationals.
- Overall since the franchise moved from Montreal to Washington, D.C., the Phillies are 44-41 in the D.C. area (Nationals Park and RFK Stadium).
Place: 1st in NL East
Last 10: 6-4
- Nationals are 75-99 all-time against the Phillies but 29-28 against Philadelphia at Nationals Park.
- The magic number for the Nationals seems to be four runs as they are 49-5 when scoring four or more runs but just 9-42 when scoring three or fewer.
- Washington is 12-3-2 in series play since May 30th with three sweeps in that time, including one over the Phillies.
- Since May 30th the Nationals are 33-20 overall.
- The Nationals have had 10 or more men reach base safely in 20 consecutive games dating back to July 5th.
- Washington leads the National League and is third in MLB in run differential at +72.
- The Nationals are 5-4 all-time on July 31st.
4-5, 3.78 ERA, 1.41 WHIP
Lee, 35, allowed three runs on nine hits with two walks and four strikeouts in five innings getting the no-decision Saturday against Arizona. In 12 career starts against the Nationals, Lee is 6-4 with a 2.74 ERA and a 1.10 WHIP. In six career starts at Nationals Park, he is 3-2 with a 3.57 ERA and a 1.17 WHIP.
6-6, 3.56 ERA, 1.22 WHIP
Gonzalez, 28, allowed one run on four hits with two walks and eight strikeouts in seven innings in Saturday's loss to the Reds. In nine career starts against the Phillies, Gonzalez is 5-3 with a 2.48 ERA and a 1.10 WHIP. In 37 career starts at Nationals Park, he is 18-9 with a 2.80 ERA and a 1.15 WHIP.