The Flyers could not capitalize. Four minutes later Kimmo Timonen flipped a shot towards Cam Ward that was redirected in front by Schenn to tie the game for the Flyers. The Flyers would put a lot of pressure on Ward to end the period.
The second period picked up right where the first period left off. The Flyers were swarming which caused captain Eric Staal to turn the puck over in his own zone to Matt Read who beat Ward top shelf to give the Flyers a 2-1 lead. It was Read’s team-leading fifth goal of the year. The Flyers would keep up the pressure when Jay Harrison got a two minute penalty for roughing Zac Rinaldo but Rinaldo was called for embellishment which, after watching the replay from numerous angles, appeared to be a phantom call.
Just over a minute into the 4-on-4 Jeff Skinner beat Ilya Bryzgalov just over his should to tie the game at 2. It looked like the momentum might have shifted but 15 seconds after Skinners goal, Brayden Schenn fed Jake Voracek on a beautiful pass and Voracek netted his second goal in as many games to put the Flyers back up 3-2. The Flyers fourth line went to work at the end of the period with Max Talbot playing incredible hockey generating chances for himself, Ruslan Fedotenko, and Rinaldo. The Flyers went to the locker room with a 3-2 lead.
The third period was all Carolina early on. The Flyers entered the game having been outscored 12-5 in the third. The Hurricanes got shot after shot on Bryzgalov and the chances kept mounting until, with 12:02 remaining, a shot hit Flyers defenseman Kurtis Foster up high and it went over Bryzgalov and into the net. The goal was credited to Joe Corvo. The Hurricanes kept up the pressure on the Flyers as they were outshooting Philadelphia 13-3 over 17 minutes into the third period.
With less than ten seconds left Voracek broke in on an odd-man rush and he found Claude Giroux who fed Read in front all alone but Ward came up with the big save to force overtime. In overtime the Flyers had a few opportunities but could not capitalize right away. Then, with 3:13 remaining in overtime, Danny Briere carried the puck into the Hurricanes zone when he cut to the middle of the ice, lost control of the puck for just a second, then ripped a shot that hit off the right post. It was the third time the Flyers hit that post today but this time the puck hit the post, then off of Ward, and into the net to give the Flyers a 4-3 victory.
- The Flyers earned a point in each of their last four games.
- Read’s second period goal was his first goal against an opponent other than the Florida Panthers.
- Luke Schenn had eight hits and six blocked shots, leading the team in both categories.
- L. Schenn lead all Flyers with 24:50 of ice time.
- Bryzgalov had 30 saves on 33 shots.
- Ward had 28 saves on 32 shots.
- The Flyers are 23-42 (.354 winning %) all time in shootouts which is last in the NHL so winning in overtime was big today.
- Joe Corvo had a goal, an assist, and seven shots on goal (leading all players).
- Brayden Schenn had a good game himself with a goal and two assists.
- Both teams were 0-for-3 on the power play.
The Flyers hit the road for six straight games as they get back at it in Toronto on Monday at 7:00 pm.
Follow Steve on Twitter @SDolan3
Follow Whiz Wit on Twitter @WhizWitSports