Final: Flyers 6 - Capitals 4
- Claude Giroux (PHI) - 2 G, 1 A, 5 SOG, Plus-2
- Jakub Voracek (PHI) - 2 G, 0 A, 6 SOG, Plus-1
- Alex Ovechkin (WSH) - 1 G, 1 A, 4 SOG, Minus-2
- The Flyers struck first when Sean Couturier poked the puck up the boards to Claude Giroux who used a burst of speed and a nifty move to beat Braden Holtby less than seven minutes into the game.
- Just over a minute and a half later, Giroux found Jakub Voracek who beat Holtby on the power play to put the Flyers up 2-0.
- With the Flyers up 2-0, Luke Schenn landed a clean and bone-crushing hit on Capitals forward Ryan Stoa. Washington forward Tom Wilson took issue and mayhem ensued. When the dust settled, Vinny Lecavalier and Capitals defenseman John Erskine were issued game misconducts while Wilson got a ten-minute misconduct and the Capitals went on the power play after Wayne Simmonds was issued two minor penalties.
- The second period got off to a good start when Scott Hartnell dumped Mike Green behind the Washington net which sent to puck to the slot where Claude Giroux beat Holtby for his second of the game.
- It would become 4-0 Flyers when Michael Raffl redirected Luke Schenn's shot from the point.
- Andrew MacDonald got the secondary assist on Raffl's goal giving him his first point as a Flyer.
- Holtby was replaced by Philipp Grubauer following the goal.
- The Capitals would get on the board just over two minutes later on Joel Ward's 19th of the year.
- After Steve Downie was whistled for elbowing, the Capitals power play went to work when a cross-ice pass found an open Alex Ovechkin who beat Steve Mason to make it 4-2.
- Just about three minutes later, Troy Brouwer made it 4-3 when he was left all alone in front of the net.
- The Flyers would get an insurance goal when Hartnell found Voracek who sniped his second goal of the game to make it 5-3 with 8:09 remaining.
- The Capitals didn't give up as Brooks Laich redirected a Mike Green shot from the point to make it 5-4 with exactly six minutes remaining.
- Steve Downie would get an empty-netter for the Flyers with less than a minute remaining to make it 6-4.
- Giroux posted his second consecutive game with two goals, one assist and five shots on goal.
- Giroux now has nine goals and nine assists in his last 11 games for the Flyers.
- Philadelphia is 7-1-0 over their last eight games.
- The Capitals went 3-for-4 on the power play while the Flyers were 1-for-2 on the man advantage.
- The Flyers out-shot the Capitals 23-8 through two periods which was the fewest shots against the Flyers through two periods since December 7th, 2009 against Montreal.
- Overall the Flyers out-shot the Capitals 30-25 despite getting out-shot 17-7 in the final period.
Follow Steve on Twitter @SDolan3
Follow Whiz Wit on Twitter @WhizWitSports