The second period was a back and forth period with both team getting their chances but couldn’t get on the board until the Flyers struck again. With less than 90 seconds to go in the period, Braydon Coburn found Read scored for his second of the game. The Panthers would strike less than 40 seconds later when EdJovanowski fired a pass the length of the ice and found a streaking Peter Mueller who broke in all alone on Ilya Bryzgalov and beat the Russian goalie to put the Panthers on the board with less than 50 seconds remaining. The Flyers would not take their foot off the gas as Luke Schenn scored on a blast from the point with just over 10 seconds remaining to give the Flyers a 5-1 lead.
The third period was all Flyers and they got to work quickly. The Flyers went on the power play just over a half a minute into the period after Jerred Smithson was called for charging. Just 15 seconds into the power play, Brayden Schenn found Read in the slot who netted one top shelf for his third goal of the game and first career hat trick. It was also another first for the Flyers as Read’s goal was the first time that the Flyers scored in the third period all year. Ruslan Fedotenko would net another goal seven minutes later to give the Flyers a 7-1 lead and that is how they would win.
- Coburn was the only Flyer to log more than 20 minutes of ice time at 22:29.
- Claude Giroux led all Flyers forwards with 17:18 of ice time.
- Luke Schenn led the Flyers with 11 hits.
- Panthers switched goaltenders after the first intermission.
- Bryzgalov had 30 saves on 31 shots.
- No Flyer registered more than three shots on goal.
- Brayden Schenn won five of his seven faceoffs.
The Flyers are back at it tonight at 6:00 pm against the Tampa Bay Lightning.
Follow Steve on Twitter @SDolan3
Follow Whiz Wit on Twitter @WhizWitSports