Phillies @ Nationals
Place: 5th in NL East
Last 10: 3-7
- The Phillies are 1-7 on Wednesdays this season and 12-26 on weekdays altogether.
- Philadelphia is 1-25 when trailing after eight innings this season.
- However, they've done a good job of holding on to late leads going 17-3 when leading after eight innings.
- No Phillies batter had more than one hit last night.
- Reid Brignac had the only extra-base hit for the Phillies with his two-out double in the fifth inning.
- Jimmy Rollins went 1-for-3 with a walk.
- Chase Utley had the only hit with runners in scoring position and went 1-for-4 on the night.
- Ryan Howard, Domonic Brown and John Mayberry Jr. were the other Phillies to record hits.
Place: 3rd in NL East
Last 10: 4-6
- Ryan Zimmerman had a solid return from the disabled list going 2-for-4 with two doubles and an RBI.
- Denard Span put together a solid night going 3-for-5 with three runs scored.
- Anthony Rendon had a strong game going 1-for-4 with a walk, a home run, two RBIs and two runs scored.
- Jayson Werth continued to torture his former team with his two-run double in the third inning.
- Ian Desmond put in work going 1-for-3 with a home run.
- The middle infielders held their own tonight as Danny Espinosa went 2-for-4 with a run scored.
3-4, 3.79 ERA, 1.44 WHIP
Burnett, 37, allowed five runs on five hits with six walks and 11 strikeouts in seven innings on Friday night getting the no-decision in the Phillies 14-inning win over the Mets. In 18 career games (17 starts), Burnett is 9-3 with a 3.00 ERA and a 1.14 WHIP. In one career start at Nationals Park, he allowed four runs (one earned) on nine hits in seven innings.
4-4, 3.15 ERA, 1.28 WHIP
Strasburg, 25, allowed two runs (no earned) on six hits with a walk and nine strikeouts in six innings of work on Friday earning the win over the Rangers. In seven career starts against the Phillies, Strasburg is 2-1 with a 2.28 ERA and a 0.83 WHIP. In 47 career starts at Nationals Park, he is 17-11 with a 2.48 ERA and a 1.02 WHIP.