Phillies @ Cubs
Place: 4th in NL East
Last 10: 3-2
- The Phillies are looking for their first series sweep of the season.
- Chase Utley had his best game of the season yesterday going 3-for-3 with a double, his second run of the year, a walk and two runs scored.
- Domonic Brown went 1-for-2 with his third RBI of the season and two walks.
- In addition to pitching seven shutout innings, Cliff Lee went 1-for-3 from the plate.
- Lee saw 15 pitches in his three at-bats which was more than Jimmy Rollins (12), Wil Nieves (12) and Dom Brown (13) saw in four at-bats.
Place: 4th in NL Central
Last 10: 1-4
- The Cubs are looking to avoid their first sweep of the season.
- Chicago has not scored since the third inning of the series-opener on Friday.
- The top two for the Cubs had a strong game as Emilio Bonifacio (2-for-5) and Starlin Castro (3-for-4) combined for half of the Cubs' 10 hits.
- Chicago went 0-for-7 while leaving 10 runners on base and grounding into two double plays.
0-0, 1.50 ERA, 1.50 WHIP
Burnett, 37, pitched well in his Phillies debut on Tuesday allowing one run on seven hits over six innings of work. He earned the no decision as the Rangers tied the game in the eighth inning and later won in the ninth. In 20 career games against the Cubs, Burnett is 6-9 with a 5.00 ERA and a 1.52 WHIP. In seven career starts at Wrigley Field, Burnett is 5-0 with 2.79 ERA and a 0.95 WHIP.
0-2, 13.50 ERA, 3.00 WHIP
Villanueva, 30, has appeared in two games this season for the Cubs allowing two runs on four hits in 1.1 innings of work getting the loss in each of the Cubs first two games. In 14 career games (one start) against the Phillies, he is 2-0 with a 1.71 ERA and a 0.99 WHIP in 26.1 innings pitched. In 39 career games (10 starts) at Wrigley Field, Villanueva is 6-6 with a 3.95 ERA and a 1.22 WHIP.