Phillies @ Marlins
Place: 5th in NL East
Last 10: 2-8
- Philadelphia is 1-39 when trailing after eight innings this season.
- However, they've done a good job of holding on to late leads going 26-3 when leading after eight innings.
- Starters going deep into games has not exactly been a guaranteed victory for the Phillies as they are just 18-21 when the starter goes longer than six innings.
- Out-hitting an opponent seems to be key as Philadelphia is 25-11 when out-hitting opponents but 6-31 when getting outhit.
- Since June 21st, the Phillies sport the worst batting average in the majors with runners in scoring position batting .172 (10-for-79).
Place: 3rd in NL East
Last 10: 3-7
- The Marlins are 156-194 all-time against the Phillies but 11-10 all-time against Philadelphia at Marlins Park.
- Miami is happy to see June end as they lost five games that went 13 innings or longer and have played 12 extra-inning games on the season.
- Home was a great place for the Marlins in the beginning of the season starting 20-7 at Marlins Park but they have gone just 5-14 at home since May 24th.
- The Marlins are just 16-21 against National League East opponents.
- Miami has won 11 of Henderson Alvarez's 16 starts on the season.
5-7, 3.89 ERA, 1.34 WHIP
Burnett, 37, allowed three runs on five hits with three walks and eight strikeouts in seven innings of work in a loss to the Marlins on Wednesday. In five career starts against the Marlins, Burnett is 2-2 with a 2.97 ERA and a 1.42 WHIP. In one career start at Marlins Park, Burnett allowed three runs on three hits over five innings of work.
5-3, 2.32 ERA, 1.28 WHIP
Alvarez, 24, allowed two runs (one hit) on seven hits with two walks and three strikeouts in 6.2 innings of work in a win Wednesday against the Phillies. In four career starts against the Phillies, Alvarez is 1-1 with a 2.03 ERA and a 1.43 WHIP. In 17 career starts at Marlins Park, he is 7-6 with a 2.60 ERA and a 1.09 WHIP.