Phillies @ Marlins
Place: 5th in NL East
Last 10: 2-8
- Philadelphia is 1-39 when trailing after eight innings this season.
- However, they've done a good job of holding on to late leads going 26-3 when leading after eight innings.
- Starters going deep into games has not exactly been a guaranteed victory for the Phillies as they are just 18-21 when the starter goes longer than six innings.
- Out-hitting an opponent seems to be key as Philadelphia is 25-11 when out-hitting opponents but 6-31 when getting outhit.
- Since June 21st, the Phillies sport the worst batting average in the majors with runners in scoring position batting .144 (12-for-83).
- Marlon Byrd had another big night for the Phillies goin deep in the eighth inning en route to going 2-for-4 with a walk, a home run and two runs scored.
- Cody Asche followed up Byrd's home run with a home run of his own to tie the game. Asche was 2-for-5 on the night.
- Domonic Brown had a multi-hit night going 2-for-5 with an RBI.
- Jimmy Rollins went 1-for-5 with a double and a run scored.
Place: 3rd in NL East
Last 10: 3-7
- The Marlins are 157-194 all-time against the Phillies but 12-10 all-time against Philadelphia at Marlins Park.
- Miami is happy to see June end as they lost five games that went 13 innings or longer and have played 13 extra-inning games on the season.
- Home was a great place for the Marlins in the beginning of the season starting 20-7 at Marlins Park but they have gone just 6-14 at home since May 24th.
- The Marlins are just 17-21 against National League East opponents.
- Giancarlo Stanton again had a big night last nightgoing 2-for-3 with a two walks, an RBI and two runs scored.
- Christian Yelich, who missed the series against the Phillies last week, went 2-for-5 with a run scored and his 11th stolen base of the season.
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia went 2-for-5 with two RBIs.
- Ed Lucas drove in the game-winning run in the 11th inning on his single to right field that scored Jeff Baker.
2-4, 2.84 ERA, 1.18 WHIP
Hamels, 30, allowed three runs on six hits with seven strikeouts in seven innings of work Thursday against the Marlins. In 31 career starts against the Marlins, Hamels is 9-12 with a 3.20 ERA and a 1.08 WHIP. In seven career starts at Marlins Park, Hamels is 2-2 with a 2.25 ERA and a 1.06 WHIP.
5-6, 3.70 ERA, 1.22 WHIP
Koehler, 28, allowed two runs on seven hits with six strikeouts in six innings of work Thursday against the Phillies. In four career games (two starts) against the Phillies, Koehler is 0-1 with a 5.93 ERA and a 1.61 WHIP. In 26 career games (19 starts) at Marlins Park, he is 5-9 with a 4.13 ERA and a 1.31 WHIP.