Phillies @ Pirates
Place: 4th in NL East
Last 10: 3-7
- Philadelphia is 2-40 when trailing after eight innings this season.
- However, they've done a good job of holding on to late leads going 26-3 when leading after eight innings.
- Starters going deep into games has not exactly been a guaranteed victory for the Phillies as they are just 19-21 when the starter goes longer than six innings.
- Out-hitting an opponent seems to be key as Philadelphia is 25-11 when out-hitting opponents but 7-32 when getting outhit.
- Since June 21st, the Phillies sport the worst batting average in the majors with runners in scoring position batting .141 (14-for-99).
- Philadelphia has only played 40 road games this season which is tied for the fifth-fewest in the majors.
- The Phillies have won nine of their last 10 games on the fourth of July with their only loss coming in 2010 to the Pirates at PNC Park.
Place: 3rd in NL Central
Last 10: 7-3
- Pittsburgh is on a bit of a hot streak going 15-8 over their last 23 games and have sported a 34-23 record since May 2nd.
- The Pirates are tied with the Angels and A's for the best record in the majors since May 2nd.
- Pittsburgh has won four straight series and eight of their last 10.
- The Pirates are 25-16 all-time against the Phillies at PNC Park and winning nine of the 13 series at the ballpark.
- Pittsburgh has done a good job when leading after eight innings going 36-4 but are just 2-34 when trailing after eight innings.
- Four runs is the limit for the Pirates. When scoring four or more runs, the Pirates going 35-8 but are just 9-33 when scoring fewer than four runs.
3-7, 4.26 ERA, 1.45 WHIP
Hernandez, 33, allowed four runs (two earned) on three hits with three walks and two strikeouts in seven innings of work Saturday's loss to the Braves. In two career games (one start) against Pirates, Hernandez is 1-0 with a 2.79 ERA and a 0.93 WHIP. In one start at PNC Park, he allowed three runs on five hits in six innings getting the win.
6-4, 4.02 ERA, 1.36 WHIP
Cole, 23, allowed five runs on seven hits with three walks and four strikeouts in four innings against the Mets in his return from the disabled list on Saturday. In one career start against the Phillies, Cole allowed three runs on eight hits in 5.1 innings getting the loss. In 18 career starts at PNC Park, he is 8-6 with a 3.85 ERA and a 1.30 WHIP.