Phillies @ Pirates
Place: 5th in NL East
Last 10: 2-8
- Philadelphia is 2-41 when trailing after eight innings this season.
- However, they've done a good job of holding on to late leads going 26-3 when leading after eight innings.
- Starters going deep into games has not exactly been a guaranteed victory for the Phillies as they are just 19-21 when the starter goes longer than six innings.
- Out-hitting an opponent seems to be key as Philadelphia is 25-11 when out-hitting opponents but 7-33 when getting outhit.
- Since June 21st, the Phillies sport the worst batting average in the majors with runners in scoring position batting .145 (15-for-103).
- Ben Revere led the Phillies offense going 1-for-3 with a walk, his 25th stolen base of the season and a run scored.
- Jimmy Rollins was 0-for-3 with a walk and a run scored.
- Chase Utley had the only other hit on the night going 1-for-4 with an RBI single later.
Place: 3rd in NL Central
Last 10: 7-3
- Pittsburgh is on a bit of a hot streak going 16-8 over their last 24 games and have sported a 35-23 record since May 2nd.
- The Pirates are tied with the Angels and A's for the best record in the majors since May 2nd.
- Pittsburgh has won four straight series and eight of their last 10.
- The Pirates are 26-16 all-time against the Phillies at PNC Park and winning nine of the 13 series at the ballpark.
- Pittsburgh has done a good job when leading after eight innings going 37-4 but are just 2-34 when trailing after eight innings.
- Four runs is the limit for the Pirates. When scoring four or more runs, the Pirates going 36-8 but are just 9-33 when scoring fewer than four runs.
- Andrew McCutchen had a game and a half going 4-for-5 with two doubles, a triple, a run scored, his 13th stolen base of the season and two RBIs.
- Jordy Mercer beat up on Phillies pitching too going 2-for-4 with a double and four RBIs.
- Russell Martin also put up some big numbers going 2-for-4 with a walk, an RBI and two runs scored.
- Gregory Polanco went 1-for-3 with two walks and two runs scored.
- Neil Walker and Gaby Sanchez both went 1-for-3 with a run scored.
4-4, 4.86 ERA, 1.38 WHIP
Buchanan, 25, allowed three runs on five hits with five walks and four strikeouts over five innings in Sunday's loss to the Braves. He has earned the decision in all eight of his Major League starts and has won three of his last four starts. Buchanan has never faced the Pirates.
6-6, 4.07 ERA, 1.24 WHIP
Volquez, 31, threw six shutout innings allowing eight hits with a walk and seven strikeouts in a win Sunday over the Mets. In four career starts against the Phillies, Volquez is 3-1 with a 1.85 ERA and a 1.10 WHIP. In 15 career games (14 starts) at PNC Park, he is 5-4 with a 4.12 ERA and 1.39 WHIP.