Phillies @ Pirates
Place: 5th in NL East
Last 10: 2-8
- Philadelphia is 2-42 when trailing after eight innings this season.
- However, they've done a good job of holding on to late leads going 26-3 when leading after eight innings.
- Starters going deep into games has not exactly been a guaranteed victory for the Phillies as they are just 19-21 when the starter goes longer than six innings.
- Out-hitting an opponent seems to be key as Philadelphia is 25-11 when out-hitting opponents but 7-34 when getting outhit.
- Since June 21st, the Phillies sport the worst batting average in the majors with runners in scoring position batting .141 (15-for-106).
- Cody Asche got the Phillies on the board in the fourth inning with a solo home run.
- Marlon Byrd cut the Pirates lead in half in the top of the ninth with a solo shot of his own. His 17th on the season.
- Chase Utley was on base more than any other Phillie going 1-for-3 with a walk.
- Domonic Brown and John Mayberry Jr. were the only other Phillies to record a hit.
- The first four batters in the batting order worked a walk.
Place: 3rd in NL Central
Last 10: 7-3
- Pittsburgh is on a bit of a hot streak going 17-8 over their last 24 games and have sported a 36-23 record since May 2nd.
- The Pirates are tied with the Angels and A's for the best record in the majors since May 2nd.
- Pittsburgh has won four straight series and eight of their last 10.
- The Pirates are 27-16 all-time against the Phillies at PNC Park and winning nine of the 13 series at the ballpark.
- Pittsburgh has done a good job when leading after eight innings going 38-4 but are just 2-34 when trailing after eight innings.
- Four runs is the limit for the Pirates. When scoring four or more runs, the Pirates going 36-8 but are just 10-33 when scoring fewer than four runs.
- Andrew McCutchen picked up right where he left off on Friday in with his first inning, two-run home run that put the Pirates up 2-0.
- Gregory Polanco had a good game going 1-for-4 with a run scored.
- Pedro Alvarez went 1-for-3 with a run scored on Edinson Volquez's fielder's choice.
- Jordy Mercer was on base all night going 2-for-2 with a walk.
5-7, 3.92 ERA, 1.36 WHIP
Burnett, 37, allowed four runs (three earned) on six hits with four walks and 10 strikeouts over six innings on Tuesday against the Marlins. In three career starts against the Pirates, Burnett is 1-1 with a 2.37 ERA and a 1.26 WHIP. In 34 career starts at PNC Park, Burnett is 14-11 with a 2.73 ERA and a 1.16 WHIP.
101, 3.46 ERA, 1.01 WHIP
Locke, 26, allowed two runs on eight hits with a walk and three strikeouts over eight innings on Tuesday against the Diamondbacks. In two career starts against the Phillies, Locke is 2-0 with a 1.54 ERA and a 1.20 WHIP. In 27 career games (25 starts) at PNC Park, he is 6-7 with a 4.37 ERA and a 1.39 WHIP.