Phillies v. Nationals
Place: 5th in NL East
Last 10: 5-5
- Scoring first has been big for the Phillies as they are 26-15 when getting on the board first but just 15-35 when allowing the opponent to score first.
- Philadelphia is 2-43 when trailing after eight innings this season.
- However, they've done a good job of holding on to late leads going 31-3 when leading after eight innings.
- Starters going deep into games has not exactly been a guaranteed victory for the Phillies as they are just 22-22 when the starter goes longer than six innings.
- Out-hitting an opponent seems to be key as Philadelphia is 28-11 when out-hitting opponents but 8-35 when getting outhit.
- Grady Sizemore makes his Phillies debut tonight batting in the leadoff spot and playing centerfield.
Place: 1st in NL East
Last 10: 7-3
- The Nationals better get used to the Phillies. Between July 11th and September 7th, they play 51 games and 25% of them (13) come against Philadelphia.
- Washington is outscoring Philadelphia 26-17 in six games this season going 4-2 in those games.
- Dating back to May 31st, 2011, the Nationals are 33-21 against the Phillies.
- Washington is third in Major League Baseball in run differential at +56.
- The Nationals are 40-3 this season when scoring four or more runs but just 9-38 when scoring three or fewer runs.
- Denard Span leads all leadoff hitters with 34 extra-base hits, two more than Colorado's Charlie Blackmon.
6-4, 2.79 ERA, 1.19 WHIP
Zimmermann, 28, threw six shutout innings on Sunday against the Cubs allowed seven hits with a walk and five strikeouts getting the no-decision. In 11 career starts against the Phillies, Zimmermann is 5-5 with a 3.48 ERA and a 1.34 WHIP. In five career starts at Citizens Bank Park, he is 2-3 with a 4.28 ERA and a 1.57 WHIP.
5-8, 3.92 ERA, 1.34 WHIP
Burnett, 37, allowed three runs on five hits with two walks and seven strikeouts in seven innings of work in Sunday's loss to the Pirates. In 19 career games (18 starts) against the Nationals, Burnett is 9-4 with a 3.43 ERA and a 1.20 WHIP. In 17 career games (16 starts) at Citizens Bank Park, he is 5-7 with a 4.02 ERA and a 1.32 WHIP.