Phillies v. nationals
Place: 5th in NL East
Last 10: 6-4
- Scoring first has been big for the Phillies as they are 27-15 when getting on the board first but just 15-36 when allowing the opponent to score first.
- Philadelphia is 2-43 when trailing after eight innings this season.
- However, they've done a good job of holding on to late leads going 32-3 when leading after eight innings.
- Starters going deep into games has not exactly been a guaranteed victory for the Phillies as they are just 23-23 when the starter goes longer than six innings.
- Out-hitting an opponent seems to be key as Philadelphia is 29-12 when out-hitting opponents but 8-35 when getting outhit.
- Ben Revere went 2-for-4 on the night with the game-tying RBI single in the eighth inning.
- Grady Sizemore had the only extra-base hit for the Phillies with his first double with the Phillies, his only hit of the night.
- Marlon Byrd had another strong game at the plate going 2-for-5 with two RBIs.
- Cody Asche didn't have a great game as he went 1-for-5 with a run scored but struck out four times.
- Jimmy Rollins and Chase Utley both went 1-for-5 with a run scored, a stolen base and a strikeout.
Place: 1st in NL East
Last 10: 6-4
- The Nationals better get used to the Phillies. Between July 11th and September 7th, they play 51 games and 25% of them (13) come against Philadelphia.
- Washington is outscoring Philadelphia 33-26 in eight games this season going 5-3 in those games.
- Dating back to May 31st, 2011, the Nationals are 34-22 against the Phillies.
- Washington is third in Major League Baseball in run differential at +54.
- The Nationals are 41-3 this season when scoring four or more runs but just 9-39 when scoring three or fewer runs.
- Denard Span leads all leadoff hitters with 34 extra-base hits, two more than Colorado's Charlie Blackmon.
- Jayson Werth had a big game against his former team going 1-for-4 with a walk, a two-run home run in the third and ended up with three RBIs and two runs scored.
- Ryan Zimmerman was 1-for-4 with a walk and the game-winning RBI single in the top of the 10th inning.
- Ian Desmond had a multi-hit night going 2-for-5 with a double.
- Anthony Rendon went 1-for-4 with a walk and a run scored.
7-6, 3.12 ERA, 1.17 WHIP
Roark, 27, allowed four runs on nine hits with a walk and five strikeouts in seven innings in July 4th's loss to the Cubs. In two career games (one start) against the Phillies, Roark is 1-1 with a 10.50 ERA and a 1.33 WHIP. In one career start at Citizens Bank Park, he allowed seven runs on seven hits in four innings of work.
4-8, 4.46 ERA, 1.37 WHIP
Kendrick, 29, allowed seven runs on 11 hits with two walks and two strikeouts in 5.2 innings of work getting the win Tuesday against the Brewers. In 25 career games (23 starts) against the Nationals, Kendrick is 5-9 with a 4.86 ERA and a 1.43 WHIP. In 106 career games (89 starts) at Citizens Bank Park, he is 35-34 with a 4.32 ERA and a 1.36 WHIP.