Phillies @ Braves
Place: 5th in NL East
Last 10: 5-5
- Scoring first has been big for the Phillies as they are 27-16 when getting on the board first but just 15-37 when allowing the opponent to score first.
- Philadelphia is 2-45 when trailing after eight innings this season.
- However, they've done a good job of holding on to late leads going 32-3 when leading after eight innings.
- Starters going deep into games has not exactly been a guaranteed victory for the Phillies as they are just 23-23 when the starter goes longer than six innings.
- Out-hitting an opponent seems to be key as Philadelphia is 29-12 when out-hitting opponents but 8-37 when getting outhit.
- The Phillies have the best second-half record in the National League over the last 10 years going 422-305.
- Philadelphia has the best second-half record in Major League Baseball since 2008 going 249-181.
- Grady Sizemore was the only Phillie to record a multi-hit game going 2-for-4 last night.
- Chase Utley had the only extra-base hit for Philadelphia going 1-for-4 with a double and a run scored.
- Ryan Howard was 1-for-3 with a run scored and two RBIs.
- Cody Asche went 1-for-3 with a sacrifice fly.
- Cameron Rupp drove in a run with an RBI single in the second inning.
Place: 1st in NL East
Last 10: 5-5
- Atlanta is 7-4 this season and are 1,231-1,121-15 all-time against Philadelphia.
- Atlanta has taken the last five games from the Phillies.
- Starting pitching has been a strength for the Braves this season as they lead Major League Baseball in quality starts with 65 in 96 games (67.7%).
- Atlanta opens up an 11-game homestand with a three-game series against the Phillies to kick off the second half of their season.
- The Braves boast the youngest team in the National League with an average age of 27 years and 279 days.
- Under manager Freddy Gonzalez, who took over the team in 2011, the Braves have the best record in the National League in that time at 332-250, which ranks second in the Majors.
- Jason Heyward extended his hit streak last night to eight games going 2-for-4 with a home run, two runs scored and two RBIs.
- B.J. Upton had a good game at the plate going 1-for-4 with an RBI and a run scored.
- Chris Johnson had a two-hit night going 2-for-4 with a stolen base.
- Justin Upton also ripped a double and scored a run.
- Andrelton Simmons drove in two runs going 1-for-4 on the night.
- Tommy La Stella drove in a run.
3-5, 2.93 ERA, 1.21 WHIP
Hamels, 30, allowed three runs on four hits with three walks and five strikeouts in seven innings on Saturday against the Nationals getting the no-decision. In 32 career games (31 starts) against the Braves, Hamels is 14-8 with a 3.41 ERA and a 1.15 WHIP. In 18 career games (17 starts) at Turner Field, he is 6-5 with a 3.84 ERA and a 1.29 WHIP.
9-6, 3.53 ERA, 1.38 WHIP
Harang, 36, allowed one run on four hits with four walks and two strikeouts in seven innings of work in last Thursday's win over the Mets. In 15 career games (14 starts) against the Phillies, Harang is 5-3 with a 5.23 ERA and a 1.65 WHIP. In 15 career games at Turner Field, Harang is 5-4 with a 3.61 ERA and a 1.45 WHIP.