Phillies v. Giants
Place: 5th in NL East
Last 10: 6-4
- Cliff Lee returns from his two-month stint on the disabled list
- Scoring first has been big for the Phillies as they are 28-17 when getting on the board first but just 15-37 when allowing the opponent to score first.
- Philadelphia is 2-46 when trailing after eight innings this season.
- However, they've done a good job of holding on to late leads going 33-3 when leading after eight innings.
- Starters going deep into games has not exactly been a guaranteed victory for the Phillies as they are just 24-23 when the starter goes longer than six innings.
- Out-hitting an opponent seems to be key as Philadelphia is 30-13 when out-hitting opponents but 8-37 when getting outhit.
- The Phillies have the best second-half record in the National League over the last 10 years going 423-306.
- Philadelphia has the best second-half record in Major League Baseball since 2008 going 250-182.
Place: 1st in NL West
Last 10: 5-5
- San Francisco has won seven of their last 11 games against the Phillies including six of their last eight games at Citizens Bank Park.
- The Giants have won seven of their last 12 games and are currently tied with the Los Angeles Dodgers for first place in the National League West.
- Scoring first is the key to victory for San Francisco as they are 39-11 when scoring first but 15-33 when allowing the first run of the game.
- The Giants have struggled with runners in scoring position going 3-for-19 over their last two games.
- They have done a great job late in games as they are 45-3 when leading after eight innings but are just 4-37 when trailing heading into the ninth inning.
- Four runs seems to be the line for the Giants as they are 44-10 when scoring four or more runs but just 10-34 when scoring three or fewer.
5-7, 3.86 ERA, 1.28 WHIP
Vogelsong, 36, allowed two runs on six hits with four strikeouts in 6.1 innings of work in July 12th's loss to Arizona. He has lost his last four starts. In five career games (two starts) against the Phillies, Vogelsong is 1-0 with a 3.00 ERA and a 1.50 WHIP. In two career games (one start) at Citizens Bank Park, he is 0-0 with a 1.50 ERA and a 1.17 WHIP.
4-4, 3.18 ERA, 1.28 WHIP
Lee, 35, makes his first start since going on the disabled list on May 20th with an elbow strain. In six career games against the Giants, Lee is 5-0 with a 0.88 ERA and a 0.71 WHIP with two complete games and one shutout. In 57 career starts at Citizens Bank Park, he is 24-19 with a 2.72 ERA and a 1.06 WHIP.