Phillies @ Nationals
Place: 5th in NL East
Last 10: 6-4
- Scoring first has been big for the Phillies as they are 34-18 when getting on the board first but just 15-41 when allowing the opponent to score first.
- Philadelphia is 2-49 when trailing after eight innings this season.
- However, they've done a good job of holding on to late leads going 39-4 when leading after eight innings.
- Starters going deep into games has not exactly been a guaranteed victory for the Phillies as they are just 28-24 when the starter goes longer than six innings.
- Out-hitting an opponent seems to be key as Philadelphia is 33-16 when out-hitting opponents but 10-39 when getting outhit.
- The Phillies have the best second-half record in the National League over the last 10 years going 430-311.
- Philadelphia has lost 13 of their last 20 games against the Nationals.
- Overall since the franchise moved from Montreal to Washington, D.C., the Phillies are 46-41 in the D.C. area (Nationals Park and RFK Stadium).
- Grady Sizemore had a strong game for the Phillies going 2-for-3 with a walk, a double and a run scored.
- Cody Asche also produced at the plate going 2-for-3 with an RBI single in the third inning.
- Marlon Byrd hit the go-ahead solo home run in the sixth inning.
- Ben Revere was the only other Phillie to record a hit.
Place: 1st in NL East
Last 10: 4-6
- Nationals are 75-101 all-time against the Phillies but 29-30 against Philadelphia at Nationals Park.
- The magic number for the Nationals seems to be four runs as they are 49-6 when scoring four or more runs but just 9-43 when scoring three or fewer.
- Washington is 12-3-2 in series play since May 30th with three sweeps in that time, including one over the Phillies.
- Since May 30th the Nationals are 33-22 overall.
- The Nationals have had 10 or more men reach base safely in 20 of their last 22 games dating back to July 5th.
- Washington leads the National League and is third in MLB in run differential at +65.
- Ian Desmond drove in the only Nationals run with an RBI single and he went 2-for-4 last night.
- Adam LaRoche was 2-for-4 on the night with a run scored.
- Denard Span, Anthony Rendon and Bryce Harper all went 1-for-4 on the night.
6-10, 4.15 ERA, 1.36 WHIP
Burnett, 37, allowed seven runs on eight hits with two walks and four strikeouts in five innings in Monday's loss to the Mets. In 20 career games (19 starts) against the Nationals, Burnett is 10-4 with a 3.37 ERA and a 1.20 WHIP. In two career starts at Nationals Park, he is 0-1 with a 6.23 ERA and a 1.85 WHIP.
6-5, 3.17 ERA, 1.20 WHIP
Zimmermann, 28, allowd two runs on four hits with a walk and six strikeouts in seven innings getting the no-decision Monday against the Marlins. In 12 career starts against the Phillies, Zimmermann is 5-6 with a 3.82 ERA and a 1.36 WHIP. In 69 career starts at Nationals Park, he is 27-18 with a 3.29 ERA and a 1.18 WHIP.