Phillies v. Astros
Place: 5th in NL East
Last 10: 6-4
- Scoring first has been big for the Phillies as they are 35-18 when getting on the board first but just 16-45 when allowing the opponent to score first.
- Philadelphia is 2-51 when trailing after eight innings this season.
- However, they've done a good job of holding on to late leads going 40-4 when leading after eight innings.
- Starters going deep into games has not exactly been a guaranteed victory for the Phillies as they are just 30-25 when the starter goes longer than six innings.
- Out-hitting an opponent seems to be key as Philadelphia is 34-16 when out-hitting opponents but 11-41 when getting outhit.
- The Phillies have the best second-half record in the National League over the last 10 years going 432-313.
- Tonight's scheduled starter, Roberto Hernandez, was traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers this afternoon. The Phillies recalled Sean O'Sullivan for the spot start if he can get from Toledo to Philadelphia in time.
- Ben Revere had a great game at the plate going 4-for-5 with a triple, two runs scored and his 31st stolen base of the season.
- Chase Utley was fantastic last night going 2-for-4 with a three-run home run and scored two runs on the night.
- Ryan Howard had another multi-hit night going 2-for-4 with a double, a run scored and two RBIs.
- Jimmy Rollins went 2-for-4 with a double and two runs scored.
- Marlon Byrd, who was claimed on waivers earlier in the day, went 1-for-3 with a walk, a run scored and an RBI.
Place: 4th in AL West
Last 10: 5-5
- Houston is 277-291 all-time against the Phillies but 16-14 at Citizens Bank Park.
- The Astros were 0-2 in their last series at Citizens Bank Park in 2012 and have lost seven straight overall in Philadelphia dating back to April 1st, 2011.
- Houston has gone 5-4 over their last nine games.
- The Astros led the American League with 32 home runs in the month of July and have hit home runs in eight of their last 11 games with 15 homers in that period.
- Once again, Jonathan Singleton drove in another run for the Astros.
- Jose Altuve went 2-for-5 with a run scored and an RBI.
- Gregorio Petit put up a two-hit game going 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- Chris Carter also went 2-for-4 on the night.
- Matt Dominguez ripped a double and scored run. It was the only extra-base hit of the night for Houston.
- Jake Marisnick was 1-for-3 with an RBI on the night.
4-9, 3.32 ERA, 1.11 WHIP
McHugh, 27, allowed one run on five hits with a walk and five strikeouts in 6.1 innings of work on Friday against the Blue Jays getting the no-decision. In one career game against the Phillies, McHugh allowed one run on three hits in three innings of work getting the no-decision. He has never pitcher at Citizens Bank Park.
0-1, 6.35 ERA, 1.41 WHIP
O'Sullivan, 26, made his only start of the season for the Phillies on June 28th against the Braves allowing four runs on eight hits with no walks and three strikeouts in 5.2 innings of work getting the loss. It was his only career game at Citizens Bank Park. O'Sullivan has never faced the Astros in his career.