Phillies @ Angels
Place: 5th in NL East
Last 10: 5-5
- Scoring first has been big for the Phillies as they are 35-18 when getting on the board first but just 18-48 when allowing the opponent to score first.
- Philadelphia is 3-54 when trailing after eight innings this season.
- However, they've done a good job of holding on to late leads going 41-4 when leading after eight innings.
- Starters going deep into games has not exactly been a guaranteed victory for the Phillies as they are just 30-25 when the starter goes longer than six innings.
- Out-hitting an opponent seems to be key as Philadelphia is 35-16 when out-hitting opponents but 12-43 when getting outhit.
- Philadelphia is 152-109 since 2005 in the month of August, the best record in the National League and second best in the majors behind only the Yankees in that span.
- The Phillies have the best second-half record in the National League over the last 10 years going 434-316.
- Philadelphia is just 16-31 (.340) in Interleague play since 2012, which is the second-worst winning percentage in Interleague play in Major League Baseball behind only Colorado's .245 winning percentage.
Place: 2nd in AL West
Last 10: 4-6
- The Angels are 7-1 all-time against the Phillies and have won seven straight games against Philadelphia.
- They have only played the Phillies three times in Anaheim but the Angels are 2-1 in those contests at Angels Stadium. It is their first time hosting the Phillies since 2003.
- The Angels have outscored the Phillies 30-12 over their last seven games while holding the Phillies to three or fewer runs in all seven games.
- Los Angeles has struggled since the All-Star break batting just .223 over that span, the worst in the American League.
- The Angels have scored just 13 runs over their last six games.
- Slugger Josh Hamilton is 1-for-24 over Los Angeles' struggles over the last six games.
2-5, 6.71 ERA, 1.66 WHIP
Williams, 32, is making his first start for the Phillies. In his last start with Texas on August 1st, he allowed 10 runs on 13 hits with three walks and two strikeouts in four innings of work against the Indians. In 43 career games (24 starts) at Angels Stadium, Williams is 12-11 with a 3.71 ERA and a 1.22 WHIP.
8-8, 4.82 ERA, 1.40 WHIP
Wilson, 33, allowed four runs on six hits with four walks and five strikeouts in 5.2 innings of work Thursday against the Dodgers. In three career games (one start) against the Phillies, Wilson is 0-1 with a 4.00 ERA and a 1.00 WHIP. In 56 career games (45 starts) at Angels Stadium, he is 19-15 with a 3.35 ERA and a 1.23 WHIP.