Phillies @ Angels
Place: 5th in NL East
Last 10: 4-6
- Scoring first has been big for the Phillies as they are 35-19 when getting on the board first but just 18-48 when allowing the opponent to score first.
- Philadelphia is 3-55 when trailing after eight innings this season.
- However, they've done a good job of holding on to late leads going 41-4 when leading after eight innings.
- Starters going deep into games has not exactly been a guaranteed victory for the Phillies as they are just 30-25 when the starter goes longer than six innings.
- Out-hitting an opponent seems to be key as Philadelphia is 35-16 when out-hitting opponents but 12-44 when getting outhit.
- Philadelphia is 152-110 since 2005 in the month of August, the best record in the National League and second best in the majors behind only the Yankees in that span.
- The Phillies have the best second-half record in the National League over the last 10 years going 434-317.
- Philadelphia is just 16-32 (.334) in Interleague play since 2012, which is the second-worst winning percentage in Interleague play in Major League Baseball behind only Colorado's .245 winning percentage.
- Darin Ruf had the only multi-hit game for the Phillies going 2-for-3 last night.
- Ryan Howard Was 1-for-3 on the night with a sacrifice fly to get the Phillies on the board.
- Marlon Byrd drove in a run with a single in the sixth inning but had a disastrous night in the field with a ground-rule double that he overran then a throwing error.
- Chase Utley went 1-for-3 with a walk and a run scored.
- Jimmy Rollins didn't record a hit but was on base twice thanks to two walks.
- Ben Revere recorded a hit and scored on Howard's sacrifice fly.
Place: 2nd in AL West
Last 10: 4-6
- The Angels are 8-1 all-time against the Phillies and have won eight straight games against Philadelphia.
- They have only played the Phillies four times in Anaheim but the Angels are 3-1 in those contests at Angels Stadium. It is their first time hosting the Phillies since 2003.
- The Angels have outscored the Phillies 37-14 over their last eight games while holding the Phillies to three or fewer runs in all eight games.
- Kole Calhoun got the Angels started in the sixth inning with his solo home run to get Los Angeles on the board. He capped off the sixth inning with an RBI single to make it 7-2 Angels.
- Overall, Calhoun was 3-for-4 with a home run and two RBIs on the night.
- Howie Kendrick had a good game for Los Angeles going 2-for-4 with an RBI and a run scored.
- David Freese was 1-for-3 on the night with an RBI double that scored two and he scored a run himself.
- Collin Cowgill went 1-for-2 with a double, an RBI and a run scored.
- Chris Iannetta drove in a run with an RBI single and later scored.
- Albert Pujols and Josh Hamilton both went 1-for-3 with a walk and a run scored.
- Mike Trout was surprisingly 0-for-4 with three strikeouts.
6-12, 4.29 ERA, 1.41 WHIP
Burnett, 37, allowed five runs on 11 hits with two walks and eight strikeouts in six innings in Friday's loss to the Mets. In nine career starts against the Angels, Burnett is 2-3 with a 4.81 ERA and a 1.50 WHIP. In five career starts at Angels Stadium, he is 1-2 with a 4.50 ERA and a 1.41 ERA.
12-7, 3.68 ERA, 1.19 WHIP
Weaver, 31, allowed four runs on seven hits with two walks and three strikeouts in six innings in Friday's loss to the Red Sox. In one career start against the Phillies, Weaver allowed one run on four hits in 5.1 innings of work earning the win. In 125 starts at Angels Stadium, he is 65-28 with a 2.68 ERA and a 1.06 WHIP.