Phillies v. Nationals
Place: 5th in NL East
Last 10: 6-4
- Scoring first has been big for the Phillies as they are 39-20 when getting on the board first but just 21-52 when allowing the opponent to score first.
- Philadelphia is 3-59 when trailing after eight innings this season.
- However, they've done a good job of holding on to late leads going 47-4 when leading after eight innings.
- Starters going deep into games has not exactly been a guaranteed victory for the Phillies as they are just 35-27 when the starter goes longer than six innings.
- Out-hitting an opponent seems to be key as Philadelphia is 38-18 when out-hitting opponents but 15-47 when getting outhit.
- Philadelphia is 159-115 since 2005 in the month of August, the best record in the National League and second best in the majors behind only the Yankees in that span.
- The Phillies have the best second-half record in the National League over the last 10 years going 441-322.
- Freddy Galvis had a great game filling in for Chase Utley last night going 2-for-3 with a two-run home run, his first of the season.
- Grady Sizemore also played well going 2-for-3 with a double and a run scored.
- Darin Ruf put up a multi-hit night going 2-for-3 with a solo home run.
- Ben Revere was the only other Phillie to record a hit on the night going 1-for-4 with a run scored.
Place: 1st in NL East
Last 10: 7-3
- The Nationals have had success against the Phillies over their last 63 games dating back to May 31st, 2011 going 37-26 over that span.
- Washington needs to win big over Philadelphia as they are just 21-32 in one-run games against the Phillies since 2005.
- Overall the Nationals are 77-103 against the Phillies and 46-62 all-time at Citizens Bank Park.
- Washington has found some success in the second half of the season going 24-14 since the All-Star break, including a 17-8 mark in the month of August.
- The Nationals have scored 172 runs in August to lead the the majors just ahead of Minnesota's 169.
- Asdrubal Cabrera went deep for the Nationals with a solo home run in the eighth.
- Former-Phillie Kevin Frandsen had a multi-hit night going 2-for-3 with an RBI.
- Wilson Ramos went 1-for-4 with an RBI.
- Anthony Rendon and Ian Desmond both went 1-for-4 with a run scored.
- Jayson Werth and Scott Hairston both added singles.
12-4, 2.38 ERA, 1.07 WHIP
Fister, 30, allowed four runs on seven hits with a walk and three strikeouts in six innings in Friday's loss to the Giants. He had gone his previous three starts without allowing an earned run. In three career games against the Phillies, Fister is 2-1 with a 1.64 ERA and a 0.73 WHIP. He has never pitched at Citizens Bank Park.
6-11, 4.93 ERA, 1.38 WHIP
Kendrick, 30, allowed four runs on eight hits with a walk and four strikeouts in 6.1 innings in Friday's win over the Cardinals, out-dueling Adam Wainwright. In 26 career games (24 starts) against the Nationals, Kendrick is 5-10 with a 5.00 ERA and a 1.40 WHIP. In 111 games (94 starts) at Citizens Bank Park, he is 37-35 with a 4.38 ERA and a 1.36 WHIP.