Phillies @ Nationals
Place: 5th in NL East
Last 10: 7-3
- Scoring first has been big for the Phillies as they are 41-22 when getting on the board first but just 22-53 when allowing the opponent to score first.
- Four runs seems to be the mark for the Phillies as they are 50-21 when scoring four or more runs but just 13-54 when scoring three or fewer runs.
- Philadelphia is 3-61 when trailing after eight innings this season.
- However, they've done a good job of holding on to late leads going 50-4 when leading after eight innings.
- Starters going deep into games has not exactly been a guaranteed victory for the Phillies as they are just 37-28 when the starter goes longer than six innings.
- Out-hitting an opponent seems to be key as Philadelphia is 42-20 when out-hitting opponents but 14-48 when getting outhit.
- The Phillies have won seven of their last 11 games against the National League East after going 13-28 against the NL East from May 11th to August 9th.
- Philadelphia has won four of their last five series going 10-5 since August 18th, the third best winning percentage in baseball in that time behind the Angels and Orioles.
Place: 1st in NL East
Last 10: 5-5
- The Nationals enter the series having split their season series with the Phillies going 8-8 having recently been swept by the Phillies at Citizens Bank Park.
- Washington has had success at home against Philadelphia going 5-0-1 in their last six series at Nationals Park against the Phillies and are 14-5 against Philadelphia at Nationals Park since October 1st, 2012.
- The Nationals are 77-104 all-time against the Phillies and just 31-30 all-time at Nationals Park against Philadelphia.
- Washington has homered in 12 straight games, tying a franchise record, hitting 26 total home runs in that stretch.
- Four runs is also the mark for the Nationals as they are 66-8 when scoring four or more runs but just 13-51 when scoring three or fewer runs.
- Nationals outfielder Denard Span is one hit shy of 1,000 for his career.
5-5, 5.23 ERA, 1.46 WHIP
Williams, 31, allowed two runs on four hits with three walks and three strikeouts in 6.1 innings in Saturday's win over the Mets. He is 3-0 in four starts with the Phillies. In three career games (two starts) against the Nationals, Williams is 0-1 with a 3.68 ERA and a 0.96 WHIP. In one career game at Nationals Park, he struck out the only two batters he faced.
11-10, 3.49 ERA, 1.19 WHIP
Strasburg, 26, allowed one run on six hits with no walks and eight strikeouts in 7.2 innings in Saturday's win over the Mariners. In 10 career starts against the Phillies, Strasburg is 4-1 with a 2.14 ERA and a 0.89 WHIP. He has 40 strikeouts and just two walks in his last four home starts against the Phillies. In 55 carer games at Nationals Park, he is 21-12 with a 2.60 ERA and a 1.01 WHIP.