Phillies v. Pirates
Place: 5th in NL East
Last 10: 5-5
- Scoring first has been big for the Phillies as they are 42-24 when getting on the board first but just 23-53 when allowing the opponent to score first.
- Four runs seems to be the mark for the Phillies as they are 51-22 when scoring four or more runs but just 14-55 when scoring three or fewer runs.
- Philadelphia is 4-63 when trailing after eight innings this season.
- However, they've done a good job of holding on to late leads going 51-4 when leading after eight innings.
- Starters going deep into games has not exactly been a guaranteed victory for the Phillies as they are just 38-30 when the starter goes longer than six innings.
- Out-hitting an opponent seems to be key as Philadelphia is 42-20 when out-hitting opponents but 16-50 when getting outhit.
- Philadelphia has won five of their last six series going 12-7 since August 18th, the second best winning percentage in baseball in that time behind the Angels.
- Chase Utley was the run producer last night for the Phillies with an RBI triple in the bottom of the eighth inning that plated two.
- Ryan Howard ripped an RBI single that got the Phillies on the board in the fourth inning.
- Maikel Franco snapped an 0-for-9 streak by going 1-for-4 with a run scored.
- Jimmy Rollins had a decent game going 1-for-2 with a triple and a run scored.
- Marlon Byrd was the only other Phillie to record a hit going 1-for-4 with a double.
- Ben Revere was 0-for-4 with a run scored dropping his batting average to .313.
Place: 2nd in NL Central
Last 10: 6-4
- Pittsburgh has won four consecutive games, tying a season high and are 6-4 over their last 10 games.
- The Pirates have recorded a National League-leading 37 come-from-behind victories this season.
- Pittsburgh has won four straight six of their last seven games at Citizens Bank Park.
- The Pirates also love hitting in Philadelphia as they have hit at least one home run in each of their last 11 games at Citizens Bank Park dating back to July 30th, 2011.
- Outhitting the opponent is the key for the Pirates as they are 59-10 when outhitting opponents but just 9-46 when getting outhit.
- Starling Marte had a great game going 3-for-5 with a double, a home run and two RBIs.
- Jordy Mercer also put in work at the plate going 2-for-4 with two doubles, an RBI and a run scored.
- Andrew McCutchen found his stroke tonight going 3-for-4 with a walk and a run scored.
- Brent Morel had a big game for Pittsburgh going 2-for-4 with an RBI double that scored Mercer.
- Neil Walker went 1-for-5 with an RBI and a run scored.
- Russell Martin was the only other Pirate with a hit going 1-for-5 with a run scored.
11-7, 3.31 ERA, 1.26 WHIP
Volquez, 31, threw 6.1 shutout innings allowed three hits and two walks with five strikeouts last Wednesday against the Cardinals getting the no-decision. In five career starts against the Phillies, Volquez is 4-1 with a 1.72 ERA and a 1.12 WHIP. In two career starts at Citizens Bank Park, he is 2-0 with a 0.69 ERA and a 0.92 WHIP.
6-7, 3.95 ERA, 1.31 WHIP
Buchanan, 25, allowed four runs (one earned) on three hits with four walks and two strikeouts in four innings last Wednesday against the Braves getting the no-decision. In his only career start against the Pirates in July, he allowed three runs on six hits in six innings earning the loss. In eight career starts at Citizens Bank Park, he is 4-3 with a 4.30 ERA and a 1.48 WHIP.