Phillies v. Pirates
Place: 5th in NL East
Last 10: 6-4
- Scoring first has been big for the Phillies as they are 43-24 when getting on the board first but just 23-53 when allowing the opponent to score first.
- Four runs seems to be the mark for the Phillies as they are 52-22 when scoring four or more runs but just 14-55 when scoring three or fewer runs.
- Philadelphia is 4-63 when trailing after eight innings this season.
- However, they've done a good job of holding on to late leads going 52-4 when leading after eight innings.
- Starters going deep into games has not exactly been a guaranteed victory for the Phillies as they are just 38-30 when the starter goes longer than six innings.
- Out-hitting an opponent seems to be key as Philadelphia is 43-20 when out-hitting opponents but 16-50 when getting outhit.
- Philadelphia has won five of their last six series going 13-7 since August 18th, the second best winning percentage in baseball in that time behind the Angels.
- Freddy Galvis went 3-for-3 on the night with a double, a home run, an RBI and three runs scored.
- Maikel Franco recorded his first career extra-base hit legging out a double in the first inning en route to going 2-for-4 with an RBI and a run scored.
- Chase Utley drove in a run while going 1-for-3 on the night.
- Marlon Byrd was the only other Phillies position player to record a hit going 1-for-3.
Place: 2nd in NL Central
Last 10: 5-5
- Pittsburgh has won four of their last five games.
- The Pirates have recorded a National League-leading 37 come-from-behind victories this season.
- Pittsburgh has won four of their last five games at Citizens Bank Park.
- The Pirates also love hitting in Philadelphia as they have hit at least one home run in 11 of their last 12 games at Citizens Bank Park dating back to July 30th, 2011.
- Outhitting the opponent is the key for the Pirates as they are 59-10 when outhitting opponents but just 9-47 when getting outhit.
- Starling Marte had another strong game at the plate with a double and a run scored.
- Russell Martin was 2-for-4 on the night with a double and two RBIs.
- Gregory Polanco was on base twice tonight going 1-for-3 with a walk and a run scored.
- Jordy Mercer ripped an RBI double in the second inning.
6-4, 3.05 ERA, 1.26 WHIP
Worley, 26, allowed three runs (two earned) on five hits with four walks and six strikeouts in 4.2 innings on Friday against the Cubs getting the no-decision. He has never started against the Phillies, the team with whom he made his Major League debut. In 29 career games (26 starts) at Citizens Bank Park, he is 9-7 with a 3.69 ERA and a 1.34 WHIP.
5-5, 5.35 ERA, 1.50 WHIP
Williams, 31, allowed five runs (four earned) on nine hits with two walks and three strikeouts in five innings getting the no-decision in Friday's win over the Nationals. In five career starts against the Pirates, Williams is 1-3 with a 3.90 ERA and a 1.47 WHIP. In three career starts at Citizens Bank Park, he is 2-0 with a 1.89 ERA and a 1.05 WHIP.