Phillies v. Pirates
Place: 5th in NL East
Last 10: 5-5
- Scoring first has been big for the Phillies as they are 43-24 when getting on the board first but just 23-54 when allowing the opponent to score first.
- Four runs seems to be the mark for the Phillies as they are 52-22 when scoring four or more runs but just 14-56 when scoring three or fewer runs.
- Philadelphia is 4-64 when trailing after eight innings this season.
- However, they've done a good job of holding on to late leads going 52-4 when leading after eight innings.
- Starters going deep into games has not exactly been a guaranteed victory for the Phillies as they are just 38-30 when the starter goes longer than six innings.
- Out-hitting an opponent seems to be key as Philadelphia is 43-20 when out-hitting opponents but 16-51 when getting outhit.
- Philadelphia has won five of their last six series going 13-8 since August 18th, the second best winning percentage in baseball in that time behind the Angels.
- Cody Asche had a strong game at the plate going 2-for-4 with a double and two of the Phillies' three runs scored last night.
- Wil Nieves was the only other Phillies position player to record a hit going 1-for-4 with an RBI single.
- Ryan Howard was 0-for-3 on the night but walked and scored a run.
Place: 2nd in NL Central
Last 10: 5-5
- Pittsburgh has won five of their last six games.
- The Pirates have recorded a National League-leading 38 come-from-behind victories this season.
- Pittsburgh has won five of their last six games at Citizens Bank Park.
- The Pirates also love hitting in Philadelphia as they have hit at least one home run in 12 of their last 13 games at Citizens Bank Park dating back to July 30th, 2011.
- Outhitting the opponent is the key for the Pirates as they are 60-10 when outhitting opponents but just 9-47 when getting outhit.
- Andrew McCutchen had a big game for the Pirates last night going 2-for-4 with an inside-the-park home run that tied the game in the fifth inning.
- Russell Martin followed up McCutchen's inside-the-park home run with a home run of his own in the fifth inning to give the Pirates the lead for good. Martin was 2-for-5 with a home run and three RBIs.
- Starling Marte and Josh Harrison both had a strong games at the plate going 2-for-4 with a double, an RBI and a run scored.
- Travis Snider went 2-for-4 with a double on the night.
- Jordy Mercer also had a multi-hit night going 2-for-4 with a run scored.
4-10, 3.74 ERA, 1.31 WHIP
Liriano, 30, threw six shutout innings allowing three hits and two walks with nine strikeouts in Saturday's win over the Cubs. Prior to his start on Saturday, the Pirates had lost six straight Liriano starts and he was 0-3 in those starts. Liriano has never pitched against the Phillies in his career.
8-15, 4.29 ERA, 1.38 WHIP
Burnett, 37, allowed one run on six hits with two walks and four strikeouts in seven innings of work in Saturday's win over the Nationals. In four career starts against the Pirates, Burnett is 1-2 with a 2.77 ERA and a 1.19 WHIP. In 22 career games (21 starts) at Citizens Bank Park, he is 7-9 with a 3.81 ERA and a 1.29 WHIP.