Phillies @ Athletics
Place: 5th in NL East
Last 10: 4-6
- The Phillies are just 6-6 all-time against the Athletics and are only playing their fifth head-to-head series ever.
- Philadelphia is 2-4 in their six games at O.Co Coliseum.
- It has been a while since the Phillies have been in Oakland as they have not played at the Coliseum since June 2008.
- The Phillies are 6-11 against the American League this season despite winning five of their last eight games against American League opponents.
- Four or more runs is the key to success for the Phillies as they are 54-24 when scoring four or more but just 16-60 when scoring three or fewer runs.
- Holding leads has been a strength of the Phillies going 55-5 when leading after eight innings but coming back has proved difficult going 4-68 when trailing entering the ninth inning.
Place: 2nd in AL West
Last 10: 3-7
- The home team in each of the Athletics' previous four series with the Phillies have won the series.
- The A's have lost seven of their last eight home games.
- They have been skidding since August 10th as they are 11-25 since then.
- Fielding has been an issue for the A's as they have eight errors in their last eight games and 33 in their last 42 games.
- Oakland is 11-6 in interleague play this season and 33-16 in their last 49 games against the National League.
- The Athletics have been playing close baseball since August 26th as 14 of their 22 games have been decided by two or fewer runs. The A's are 3-11 in those 14 games.
- The magic number for the A's is 10 to clinch a Wild Card spot.
6-7, 3.75 ERA, 1.28 WHIP
Buchanan, 25, allowed one run on five hits with a walk and two strikeouts in 6.1 innings getting the no-decision in Sunday's loss to the Marlins. Jonathan Papelbon blew the save. After getting the decision in each of his first 13 MLB starts, Buchanan has earned the no-decision in each of his last five starts.
15-10, 2.45 ERA, 1.10 WHIP
Lester, 30, threw six shutout innings allowing four hits and four walks with seven strikeouts in Sunday's win over the Mariners. In four career starts against the Phillies, Lester is 3-0 with a 1.67 ERA and a 0.89 WHIP. In 10 career starts at O.Co Coliseum, he is 3-4 with a 2.74 ERA and a 1.06 WHIP.