The second period featured a lot of back-and-forth hockey with two Flyers power plays but no goals for either side. The team who scored first in the third was going to take the momentum. Well it did not take long as Leighton stopped Adam Hall’s shot but left a juicy rebound out in front of the net as Victor Hedman slammed it home just 58 seconds into the third period to give Tampa Bay a 4-1 lead. Steven Stamkos would ice the game with 7:31 remaining with his third of the year to give the Lightning a 5-1 lead and they would hold on to win by the same margin.
- The Flyers logged 27 penalty minutes.
- The Lightning have now outscored opponents 13-1 in the third period.
- Martin St. Louis registered four assists.
- Braydon Coburn led all Flyers with four shots on goal.
- Kimmo Timonen led all Flyers with 23:10 of ice time while Giroux led all forwards with 22:55 of ice time.
- Leighton had 21 saves on 26 shots while Lindback had 24 saves on 25 shots.
- The Lightning were 2-for-5 on the power play.
- The Flyers were 0-for-6 with the man advantage.
- Vincent Lecavalier led all players with seven hits and also fought Luke Schenn. It was Lecavalier’s first fight since February 3, 2009.
- Prior to the game, the Flyers sent center Scott Laughton back to his junior team, the Oshawa Generals.
The Flyers get back at it Tuesday night at 7:00 pm at Madison Square Garden as they will face off against the New York Rangers.
Follow Steve on Twitter @SDolan3
Follow Whiz Wit on Twitter @WhizWitSports