It is not surprising that frustration is beginning to boil over in the clubhouse. One of the more vocal personalities on the team, Jonathan Papelbon, is not too pleased with the direction of the Phillies franchise. Papelbon said after the game that he "definitely did not come here for this."
When asked about what needs to be done for the Phillies to turn things around, Papelbon compared them to his former team, the Boston Red Sox. The 32 year old closer said that things need to change "from top to bottom."
He is referring to the collapse of the 2011 Red Sox that saw the team get rid of manager Terry Francona and saw general manager Theo Epstein leave for the Chicago Cubs. Papelbon also left the team after that year to sign a four-year, $50 million deal with the Phillies.
Now, Papelbon said he would like to stay in Philadelphia but he does not want to deal with more years like the one the Phillies are currently going through.
This is not the first time that Papelbon has spoken out this year. He complained that the Phillies were lacking fundamentals in June (during a stretch in which he blew three of four save opportunities in a one week span). Back in February, the closer said he does "not see any leadership" on the Phillies.
Those were not exactly word of encouragement from a guy who is making a ton of money. Papelbon is also in the middle of destroying his own trade value. He would be a guy I would look to move before Wednesday's deadline but, given his overall play the last month, finding a taker for him and his contract might be more difficult than originally thought.
Follow Steve on Twitter @SDolan3
Follow Whiz Wit on Twitter @WhizWitSports