Final: Pirates 3 - Phillies 2
Losing Pitcher: David Buchanan (4-5) - 6.0 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 3 K
Save: Mark Melancon (16)
- Cody Asche got the Phillies on the board in the fourth inning with a solo home run.
- Marlon Byrd cut the Pirates lead in half in the top of the ninth with a solo shot of his own. His 17th on the season.
- Chase Utley was on base more than any other Phillie going 1-for-3 with a walk.
- Domonic Brown and John Mayberry Jr. were the only other Phillies to record a hit.
- The first four batters in the batting order worked a walk.
- No Phillie had more than one hit in the game.
- The Phillies went 0-for-3 with runners in scoring position and left six men on base.
- Andrew McCutchen picked up right where he left off on Friday in with his first inning, two-run home run that put the Pirates up 2-0.
- Gregory Polanco had a good game going 1-for-4 with a run scored.
- Pedro Alvarez went 1-for-3 with a run scored on Edinson Volquez's fielder's choice.
- Jordy Mercer was on base all night going 2-for-2 with a walk.
- The Pirates went 0-for-7 with runners in scoring position and left five runners on base.
Follow Steve on Twitter @SDolan3
Follow Whiz Wit on Twitter @WhizWitSports