Flyers @ Avalanche
Last Game: Win, 4-1 @ Flames (Tue. Dec. 31st)
Streak: Won 4
- The Flyers are riding a four-game winning streak coming off a Western Canada sweep for the first time since 1996.
- The Flyers are 2-5-4-2 against the Avalanche all-time in Colorado.
- Matt Read is out tonight with an upper-body injury and Jay Rosehill returns to the lineup. Read is day-to-day and could be back for Saturday's tilt with the Phoenix Coyotes.
- Mark Streit has four goals in his last eight games and his goal on Tuesday marked the 10th time in the Flyers last 12 games that a defenseman has scored at least one goal.
- The Flyers, who struggled early in the season to find the back of the net, have scored three goals in eight consecutive games.
- It will be the first time Steve Downie faces the Avalanche since he was traded for Max Talbot on October 31st.
Last Game: Win, 5-3 v. Blue Jackets (Tue. Dec. 31st)
Streak: Won 1
- The Avalanche are in the midst of a season-long seven-game homestand and are currently 1-0-1 so far.
- Colorado is off to their fourth best start through 39 games in franchise-history behind the 57-point start in 2000-01, the year they went on to win the Stanley Cup in seven games.
- The Avalanche are 7-2-0 in their last nine matchups with the Flyers but the two haven't played since December 19, 2011 when Colorado walked away with a 3-2 shootout victory.
- The Avalanche have won five consecutive home meetings with the Flyers and haven't lost since December 27, 2002.
- It will be the first time Max Talbot faces the Flyers since he was traded for Steve Downie on October 31st.
- Matt Duchene is two goals away from 100 NHL goals and captain Gabriel Landeskog is three points away from 100 in his career.
16-9-4, 2.38 GAA, .922 SV%
Mason, 25, is coming off arguably his best game of the year Tuesday against the Vancouver Canucks stopping 41 of 44 shots fired his direction keeping the FLyers in th egame with a handful of spectacular saves. He stopped all three Canucks in the shootout to get the Flyers the 4-3 victory. In 12 career games against the Avalanche, Mason is 4-6-2 with a 3.27 GAA and a .891 SV%.
17-8-4, 2.38 GAA, .926 SV%
Varlamov, 25, played well in Colorado's 5-3 victory over Columbus on New Year's Eve stopping 35 of the Blue Jackets' 38 shots. The win snapped a streak of three consecutive losses in Varlamov starts for the Avalanche. In two career games against the Flyers, Varlamov is 0-0-1 with a 4.79 GAA and a .872 SV% allowing six goals on 47 shots.