Final: Rangers 4 - Flyers 1
Rangers Lead Series 1-0
- Brad Richards (NY) - 1 G, 2 A, 6 SOG, Plus-1
- Mats Zuccarello (NYR) - 1 G, 0 A, 3 SOG, Plus-1
- Derek Stepan (NYR) - 1 G, 0 A, 2 SOG, 19:22 TOI
- The Flyers got on the board first after Scott Hartnell hit Ryan McDonagh behind the Rangers net and took the puck. Hartnell got the puck back to the point where Andrew MacDonald ripped a shot that beat Lundqvist for his first goal with the orange and black.
- New York responded three and a half minutes later after a scramble in front saw the puck on Mats Zuccarello's stick. His first shot was stopped by Ray Emery but Zuccarello got his own rebound and scored to tie the game.
- It would remain tied through the second period and into the third when Jason Akeson hit Carl Hagelin but got spun around and caught Hagelin with his stuck and drew blood. New York went to work on the double-minor.
- Just 47 seconds into the first minor, Emery made a save but the puck found it's way to Brad Richards who blasted a shot topshelf to give the Rangers a 2-1 lead.
- It would not end there as 47 seconds into the second minor, Richards got the puck to Derek Stepan to Emery's right and Stepan had a wide-open net to deposit the puck to give the Rangers a 3-1 lead.
- Later in the period, Richards worked the puck to Carl Hagelin who beat Emery to make it 4-1 Rangers which iced the win for New York.
- The Rangers outshot the Flyers 36-15, including 13-1 in the crucial third period.
- Akeson and Michael Raffl led the Flyers with three shots apiece.
- The Flyers' top line of Claude Giroux, Jake Voracek and Scott Hartnell combined for just two shots on goal and they were both from Hartnell.
- Philadelphia falls to 4-10 in Game 1s since 2005-06 but are just 4-5 over that span when trailing heading into Game 2.
- The Flyers have not scored more than two goals at Madison Square Garden in each of their last nine visits and in 15 of their last 18.
Follow Steve on Twitter @SDolan3
Follow Whiz Wit on Twitter @WhizWitSports