Philadelphia Weather: Mostly Cloudy. A stray shower late. High 62. Low 54.
Yesterday's Scores: Kings 3, Flyers 2 (F/SO); #11 Villanova 87, Nebraska 63; La Salle 73, Rider 60; Penn 60, Delaware State 54; Penn State 68, DePaul 62; #2 Kentucky 74, #5 Duke 63; #3 Maryland 75, Georgetown 71; #13 Michigan State 79, #4 Kansas 73; Tulsa 77, #9 Wichita State 67; Pistons 104, Cavaliers 99; Warriors 115, Raptors 110; Blue Jackets 3, Blues 1; Penguins 4, Wild 3
Today's Schedule: Pacers @ 76ers - 7 PM (CSN / 97.5 The Fanatic); Buffalo @ St. Joe's - 7 PM; High Point @ Drexel - 7 PM; Illinois @ Providence - 7 PM (FS1); Capitals @ Red Wings - 8 PM (NBCSN); Trail Blazers @ Rockets - 8 PM; Pelicans @ Thunder - 8 PM (ESPN); Bulls @ Suns - 10:30 PM (ESPN)
FLYERS LOSE LEAD LATE IN GAME, FALL IN SHOOTOUT TO KINGS 3-2
3-on-3 OT was helter skelter for the majority of the five minutes. But no goals. So we went to a shootout, where Anze Kopitar scored the only goal in the shootout. Next up for the Flyers is San Jose Thursday night. (RECAP)
Meanwhile, the Flyers announced that goaltender Michal Neuvirth was day-to-day with an upper-body injury and Anthony Stolarz was recalled on an emergency basis.
But if you want your Flyers fix today, head to Bourbon & Branch in Northern Liberties to see Ilya Bryzgalov and others talk hockey and baseball!
EAGLES INJURY REPORTS: BRADFORD NOT IN SLING, PETERS PRACTICES
Meanwhile, Jason Peters participated at practice, and will probably start at left guard this week against Tampa Bay, while Lane Johnson will probably return to right guard. Meanwhile, the reason Peters sat out last week's game was because he did not want to dress as a backup. He would either start or not dress. From my view, he got an extra week of rest and should be ready to go. There's no negative there. (REPORT)
BIG JAH GOT HURT, MIGHT NEED STITCHES
COLLEGE BASKETBALL RECAP
- The 11th ranked Villanova Wildcats took care of Nebraska 87-63 in one of the Gavitt Tipoff Games, which included a 22-2 run to close out the first half. Josh Hart had a game-high 19 points, while Daniel Ochefu recorded a double-double with 17 points and 10 rebounds, and also had three blocks. Andrew White III led all Cornhuskers with 18 points. Nova hosts East Tennessee State on Friday. (RECAP)
- The Explorers led Rider by 12 at the half and ended up beating the Broncs 73-60 at Tom Gola Arena. Jordan Price scored 28 points, while Cleon Roberts notched 18 of his own. Xavier Lundy scored 19 points for Rider, while Jimmie Taylor had 13. The Explorers are off until Monday, when they host Lafayette. (RECAP)
- Penn made history with a 60-54 win over Delaware State last night. They became 3-0 for the first time since the 1981-82 season. The Quakers, down one with less than three minutes to go, scored seven unanswered to take the lead. Darien Nelson-Henry led all scorers with 16 points, while Sam Jones scored 10 and got eight boards. DeAndre Haywood scored 13 for the Hornets. Up next is a tall task on the road against Washington on Saturday afternoon. (RECAP)
- But the biggest local hoops game was held on the campus of Gwynedd Mercy University, which is near Gwynedd Mercy Academy High School. The Arcadia Knights defeated the Griffins 90-77. Freshman Phil Pierfy scored 20 points and had five rebounds for the Knights. And did you think this doesn't matter? Well I regret to inform you that it actually does matter:
R. KELLY MAKES A 3 WITH A CIGAR IN HIS MOUTH
HASSAN WHITESIDE SAYS NO
KEVIN BIEKSA LOST A TOOTH IN A FIGHT
31 HOURS OF COLLEGE BASKETBALL IS OVER
I always love this day, since you're literally living in a world of continuous non-stop sports. I wish that there was an 8 AM game in Syracuse (La Salle did have a morning game two years ago. I watched, along with the one and only Tom Lang in his precalc class). My favorite games during that span was the Baylor-Oregon game (which was the first ranked matchup of the season), the Nevada-Hawaii game, and the Georgetown-Maryland game (which I hope becomes an annual thing). The Hoya-Terp game concluded with a live Sportscenter hosted by Maryland alum Scott Van Pelt, and it was fantastic. Scott Van Pelt's SportsCenters are awesome, and sometimes make me watch that over Fallon or Colbert or Kimmel.
TODAY IN HISTORY
- 1307: According to legend, William Tell shoots an apple off his son's head.
- 1626: St. Peter's Basilica is consecrated.
- 1928: Release of the animated short Steamboat Willie, the first fully synchronized sound cartoon, directed by Walt Disney and Ub Iwerks, featuring the third appearances of cartoon characters Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse. This is considered by the Disney corporation to be Mickey's birthday.
- 1963: The first push-button telephone goes into service.
- Pete Morelli (64)
- Kevin Nealon (62)
- Marc Zumoff (60)
- Tony Franklin (59)
- Warren Moon (59)
- Kirk Hammett (53)
- Jamie Moyer (53)
- Seth Joyner (51)
- Gary Sheffield (47)
- Owen Wilson (47)
- Sam Cassell (46)
- Megyn Kelly (45)
- David Ortiz (40)
- Jason Williams (40)
- Fabolous (38)