Yesterday's Scores: Nationals 12, Phillies 2
Today's Schedule: Nothing. Like, zilch. Go watch Thursday Night Football.
Trip to Fort Lauderdale for Flyers @ Panthers - October 9th-12th - More information here.
PHILLIES GET CLOBBERED BY NATIONALS 12-2
Washington completed a three-game sweep of the Phillies in a 12-2 win at the ballpark. Jayson Werth hit two home runs, while Bryce Harper hit his 40th of the season. Darin Ruf's two-run homer in the fourth tied things up at two, but the Phillies wouldn't score another run the rest of the night. Gio Gonzalez went seven innings and gave up only those two runs on five hits, but struck out 12. Alec Asher went five innings and gave up four runs on seven hits and struck out four.
The Phillies are off tonight, but start a weekend series in Atlanta against the Braves. It'll be the final time they play each other this season. Meanwhile, 3B Maikel Franco might return to the lineup as early as Tuesday. (RECAP)
EAGLES BEGIN TO PREPARE FOR DALLAS
Head coach Chip Kelly spoke again, this is a summary of what he said:
- Although Dez Bryant is one of the top receivers, Tony Romo is the key to the Dallas offense.
- Chip doesn't know how Dallas will run their offense without Dez. Maybe 2 TE sets with Gavin Escobar?
- Chip would rather have the mystery of preparing without Dez than having to game plan for him. More work on the coaches.
- Dallas had a good defensive line, a different look with the return of Sean Lee, who missed last season.
- Kelly said that David Molk's injury needs a 3-4 month rehab, not sure if newly signed Julian Vandervelde or Josh Andrews will be the backup center.
- Everyone (including Marcus Smith) will practice except Seyi Ajirotutu, who is going through the concussion protocol.
- Chip equates a pass in the flat to a long handoff. "We're equal-opportunity ball movers."
- Nickel package personnel was based on Julio Jones' size in the slot. He wanted bigger players, but it could change this week.
- Chip said that Kiko is a true three-down linebacker. Looks like the end is near for Mufasa.
Speaking of Vandevelde, he was the newest signing after the injury of Molk. The team also signed TE Connor Hamlett to the practice squad and released this year's seventh round draft pick DE Brian Mihalik with an injury designation (ankle). (REPORT)
Also, Falcons safety William Moore was fined $23,000 by the NFL for his late hit against Jordan Matthews in the third quarter. And this...
FLYERS GM RON HEXTALL EXPLAINS WHY NO ROOKIE GAME
It came as a shock for some fans that the Flyers and the Capitals weren't going to play their usual rookie game. Ron Hextall says that there are valuable things that are learned during rookie camp, which ended Wednesday, and that you lose a lot of that when playing in a tournament, which is what Washington is doing this year. He really cares about the future of the franchise. (REPORT)
PROVOROV, SANHEIM IMPRESS AT ROOKIE CAMP
Don't sleep on this year's first round pick in defenseman Ivan Provorov. He showed a ton of maturity and more than maybe anyone expected for his age, and new head coach Dave Hakstol commended his play in all parts of the game, with or without the puck. Hakstol also mentioned that Travis Sanheim is a guy that understands the game, and that his strength and conditioning has improved from last year. Training Camp for everyone begins Friday morning at 9:45 in Voorhees. (REPORT)
DAN BAKER ISN'T GOING AWAY JUST YET BIRDS FANS!
That's right! The former Eagles Public Address announcer from 1985 until last season will be the in-house PA announcer for Xfinity Live! beginning with the Dallas game this Sunday! He will PA the team's 12 of their remaining 15 games of the season. Great move Xfinity! (REPORT)
BOWIE BEATS READING 10-3, EVENS SERIES AT ONE GAME
The Bowie Baysox, the AA affiliate of the Baltimore Orioles, defeated the Reading Fightin Phils, the AA affiliate of the Philadelphia Phillies, 10-3 in Game 2 of the Eastern Division Championship Series in Reading. The series is tied at one game a piece, with Game 3 being played tonight in Bowie, Maryland, where the rest of the series will take place. Reading's Jake Thompson will face off against Bowie's Chris Lee in the pitching matchup. (REPORT)
STEVE RANNAZZISI, BETTER KNOW AS KEVIN FROM THE LEAGUE, ADMITS LYING ABOUT 9/11 STORY
Yeah, you should never really lie ever, especially about things like this. Kevin basically had a lie that he survived the World Trade Center attacks as he fled from where he was working in the south tower after the first plane hit the north tower. The New York Times looked into this and found out that he pulled a Brian Williams. Don't do that. (REPORT)
STEVEN STAMKOS HATES DRONES
Well, we're not sure if he does, but he can hit flying targets with pucks!
SPELLING BEE: KUTZTOWN EDITION
The word is, Pennsylvania.
THE SPLAT IS COMING
We've been following this whole 90's Nick cartoons thing for a few weeks now, and we get another development. It appears that a new programming block on Nick will be all about the 90's programming called "The Splat!", coming in October. It could also be a new channel. It's not known yet. A current block of programming called "The 90's Are All That" runs on TeenNick from midnight to four in the morning. (REPORT)
TODAY IN HISTORY
- 1630: The city of Boston, Massachusetts is founded.
- 1787: The United States Constitution is signed in Philadelphia. Happy Constitution Day everybody! If you're a current or former La Salle student and had Mr. Bielecki as a teacher, chances are you read or will read part of this document today!
- 1814: Francis Scott Key finished his poem "Defense of Fort McHenry", which were later the lyrics for "The Star Spangled Banner."
- 1916: Manfred von Richthofen, otherwise known as "The Red Baron," wins his first aerial combat in France. No relation to the pizza or the former Phillies AAA affiliate in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
- 1961: The world's first retractable-dome stadium, the Civic Arena and later Mellon Arena, opens in Pittsburgh. That's where the Penguins used to play.
- 2011: Occupy Wall Street movement begins in Zuccotti Park, New York City.
- Orlando Cepeda (78)
- Phil Jackson (70)
- Jim Cornette (54)
- Kim Davis (50)
- Mark Brunell (45)
- Rasheed Wallace (41) - BALL DON'T LIE
- Jimmie Johnson, the NASCAR driver (40)
- Alexander Ovechkin (30)
VIDEO OF THE DAY
From Warner Bros. Pictures: the latest trailer for the new Rocky spinoff CREED: