Friday's Scores: Red Sox 7, Phillies 5; Jacksonville 20, La Salle 24, North Penn 12; Delaware 14; Lehigh 20, Central Connecticut State 14
Saturday's Scores: Red Sox 9, Phillies 2; Temple 27, Penn State 10; Union 2, Earthquakes 1; Rowan 24, Widener 10; Delaware Valley 27, Montclair State 24
Sunday's Scores: Red Sox 6, Phillies 2
Today's Schedule: Braves @ Phillies - 7:05 PM (CSN / 1210 WPHT, 94 WIP)
Trip to Fort Lauderdale for Flyers @ Panthers - October 9th-12th - More information here.
TEMPLE CRUSHES PENN STATE 27-10 FOR FIRST WIN IN 74 YEARS
More on this in our brand new college football recap Helmet Stickers, but many people thought that this day wouldn't happen. Like, it's been inscribed in our brains that whenever these two teams play, Penn State always goes home with the win, and it's not even close. Well, those days are over, maybe. The Owls were led by running back Jahad Thomas and his 135 yards and two touchdowns on the ground as well as the stellar play of quarterback P.J. Walker, going 15-of-20 for 143 yards and a rushing TD.
Penn State scored the game's first 10 points and 131 yards of offense in the first quarter, but after that, they managed only 49 MORE YARDS OF OFFENSE!!!! 49!!! Temple sacked Nittany Lion QB Christian Hackenberg 10 TIMES for 64 YARDS! THAT'S SO INSANE AND YOU DON'T BELIEVE IT UNTIL YOU SEE THIS!
EAGLES FINALIZE ROSTER AND PRACTICE SQUAD; THIRD QB ISN'T NAMED BARKLEY OR TEBOW
The second biggest story in this city this weekend was how the Eagles roster would look. It officially started with the Eagles trading Matt Barkley to Arizona for a conditional 7th round pick. It looked like Tebow was gonna be QB3 and Tebowmania would continue right? NOPE!
Chip Kelly also joked that Zach Ertz would kick and be QB3...
(REPORT) (REPORT) (REPORT)
It wasn't a good trip to Boston for the Phillies, as they fell to Boston 7-5, 9-2, and 6-2 respectively in the three-game series. I could go on and say how it went, but Xander Bogaerts took the words out of my mouth:
(REPORT) (REPORT) (REPORT)
LA SALLE OPENS SEASON WITH WIN OVER NORTH PENN
Senior wide receiver Winston Eubanks had a 51-yard touchdown catch and a 90-yard score off a kickoff return, while junior running back Sy Madden had 20 carried for 121 yards and a touchdown, as the Explorers took care of North Penn 24-12 for John Steinmetz's first win as head coach.
Also, a development that didn't really get covered that much. With a new regime in charge, changes came, and La Salle is going back in time with their helmets:
FLYERS FANS WANT TO BUY PENGUINS
Mario Lemieux and co. are putting the Penguins up on the auction block, and it looks like some Flyers fans want in on the bidding. But even if they can't get enough money, they'll donate their earnings to the Flyers Wives charities, so donate here! (REPORT)
SIXERS SIGN GUARD KENDAL MARSHALL TO A MULTIYEAR DEAL
According to Adrian Wojnarowski, Kendall Marshall has agreed to a multiyear contract with the Sixers in another effort to "Trust the Process." Marshall was rehabbing in Chapel Hill after he torn his ACL in January while playing with Milwaukee. The former 13th overall pick in the 2012 NBA draft should be ready sometime in the first half of this upcoming season, according to league sources. (REPORT)
UNION, CONNOR CASEY COME-FROM-BEHIND TO BEAT SAN JOSE 2-1
Connor Casey came in during the second half to replace Sebastien Le Toux and scored goals in the 74th and 86th minutes as the Union completed a comeback in San Jose, 2-1. The Union had two chances for penalty kicks as C.J. Sapong and Vincent Nogueira went down in the box, but no call was made. The Union host Columbus Saturday at PPL Park at 7 PM. (REPORT)
NOTABLE ROSTER MOVES FROM OTHER NFL TEAMS
Here were some notable roster moves from around the NFL:
- Arizona: Cut QB Logan Thomas
- Atlanta: Cut QB Rex Grossman
- Buffalo: Cut DE IK Enemkpali, QB Matt Cassel, FB John Conner
- Chicago: Cut TE Bear Pascoe, TE Dante Rosario
- Cincinnati: Cut DT Devon Sill, WR Michael Bennett
- Cleveland: Cut QB Thad Lewis, QB Pat Devlin; Keeps WR Terrell Pryor
- Denver: Cut RB Montee Ball
- Detroit: Cut QB Kellen Moore, RB Emil Igwenagu
- Houston: Cut RB Kenny Hilliard, WR Damaris Johnson
- Jacksonville: Cut RB Storm Johnson, QB Stephen Moris (you know where he went)
- Miami: Cut QB Josh Freeman, K Caleb Sturgis
- New England: Cut WR Reggie Wayne, RB Jonas Gray
- New Orleans: Cut DB Stanley Jean-Baptiste
- New York Giants: Cut WR James Jones, P Steve Weatherford, FB Henry Hynoski
- New York Jets: Cut DE Jason Babin, QB Matt Flynn, QB Josh Johnson, WR Chris Owusu, RB Daryl Richardson, LB Joe Mays
- Oakland: Cut RB Michael Dyer, S Taylor Mays, QB Christian Ponder
- St. Louis: Cut QB Austin Davis
- San Diego: Cut K Nick Novak, WR Austin Pettis
- San Francisco: Cut DT Darnell Dockett; Keep RB Jarryd Hayne
- Seattle: Cut RB Robert Turbin, CB Will Blackmon
- Tampa Bay: Cut K Connor Barth, DE Da'Quan Bowers
- Tennessee: Cut WR Hakeem Nicks, WR Jacoby Ford
- Washington: Keep QB Robert Griffin III
RGIII's NEUROLOGIST RESIGNS, PLUS A D.C. UNITED PLAYER HATES HIM
More RGIII shenanigans! Robert Kurtzke, who switched the QB's status after initially clearing him to play, has resigned as the NFL's independent neurologist. This wasn't the end of him, as former D.C. United forward and current New York Cosmos assistant coach Alecko Eskandarian lashed out at him after he failed to treat him of a concussion about 10 years ago.
ARKANSAS TECH HONORS FALLEN TEAMMATE WITH 10 MEN ON DEFENSE, GETS A SCOOP AND SCORE
Zemaric Holt was a defensive lineman on the team and drowned in July. The Wonder Boys honored him by lining up with only 10 players on defense, while Southern Nazarene tried to run a trick play. Key word: tried. A scoop and score occurred and the Wonder Boys eventually won 62-14. (REPORT)
I'M PUMPED FOR JOSE ALDO-CONOR MCGREGOR
A brief staredown occurred at the UFC "Go Big" press conference between the two Featherweight champions. Aldo leaned his head into McGregor's, causing McGregor to react in a way that he might retaliate. They'll face each other at UFC 194 December 12. (REPORT - VIDEO NSFW)
TOP TEN GAMEDAY SIGNS
Well, uh, maybe not yet, which might not be good. The music was great for year number four, but there was some spotty cell service despite big temporary upgrades in time for the Pope and the Democratic National Convention later next summer. That will be huge because everyone will want to take their selfies with Francis and post to Facebook and Instagram right away. But music wise, it sounded like MIA was very good yet again. We'll let it sink in with everyone that went before getting a final vibe. Oh, and two Sixers were happy about what Beyoncé was wearing. One of them was Joel. (REPORT)
WEST POINT PILLOW FIGHT TURNS BLOODY
Pillow fights are mainly for girl slumber parties, but freshman at the United States Military Academy take it one step further, by putting hard objects inside the pillowcases. It's a tradition that the freshman do this after finishing summer training, and it resulted in 30 cadets with injuries, 24 of them with concussions. They've reportedly all returned to duty, as the brawl took place August 20th. (REPORT)
THAT 90'S NICK CARTOON REVIVAL WILL PROBABLY BE A HUGE CROSSOVER MOVIE
This is so much better than bringing old cartoon reruns back to TV. When we last left you on Friday, we mentioned about a possible return of shows like "Rugrats" and "Hey Arnold!" as a sort of special or movie. Well, according to The Tracking Board, it looks like characters from those two shows, along with "Angry Beavers," "Rocko's Modern Life," "Ren and Stimpy," and from other shows, will be in a brand-new, humongous-big crossover movie called "Nicktoons." If this is true, bring everything back. (REPORT)
TODAY IN HISTORY
- Today is Labor Day, here's why many people don't have work or school.
- 1895: The first game of rugby league football was played in England.
- 1921: The first Miss American Pageant was held in Atlantic City.
- 1963: The Pro Football Hall of Fame opens in Canton with 17 charter members, including Sammy Baugh, Eagles founder and NFL Commissioner Bert Bell, Red Grange, George Halas, Curly Lambeau, and Jim Thorpe.
- 2011: A plane crash in Russia kills 44 people and most of the KHL’s Lokomotiv Yaroslavl team, including coach and former Flyer Brad McCrimmon. May they rest in peace.
- Jacques Lemaire (70)
- Suzyn Waldman (69)
- Gloria Gaynor (66)
- "Sugar" Shane Mosley (44)
- Mark Prior (35)
- Kevin Love (27)
VIDEO OF THE DAY
From University Daily Kansen: Kansas University students can't name KU football players.